Greek Key Cornice


I think my proudest DIY so far is our cornice. Possibly will be my proudest ever, because I might never do anything so involved again. We took two full days of our Christmas vacation to make this. Here was my inspiration photo:

We did this so long ago that I've forgotten a lot of what was involved. There's a whole blog post (link above) about how to make a cornice, but I didn't follow it at all, so I can't speak to it. I borrowed an in-depth instructional video from my seamstress who had done it before and had a lot of faith in me! It looked like this:


Not a joke. We re-wound and re-played this 80s seamstress for two days straight (this is how I know my husband loves me). 

We started with some 1x4s and OSB.


The wood was nailed to the sides and top of the OSB board to make a "box" - but open on the back and bottom. We covered the front and sides with batting.


My seamstress applied a white tape trim ahead of time to the solid navy fabric I used. We covered the front of the cornice with the fabric and then wrapped it around the sides and edges. We used tack strips along the edges and stapled into them to secure the fabric. The insides were covered with blackout lining (the white fabric).  


It all looks a little rough on the inside at first with crooked edges and staples showing, and if we did it again we would probably disregard that and just hang it because who really cares when you can't see that part? It all depends how much of it can be seen from outside your window (how low you're hanging it) and how much you can see up into it when you're sitting underneath it. We followed the instructions by covering all the staples with more fabric and gluing gimp where the fabric and lining met. 


As far as I can remember, that was the last step to making the cornice. We hung it on a few L-brackets, and mounted the drapery hardware before we put it up. I actually didn't even get a drapery rod that goes the length of the window since these are stationery panels. We got a short one and cut it in half since it's all covered - there's a little money saving tip for you! I had my seamstress sew the panels and put in grommet holes for the rings since I have ZERO sewing skills.


The project was not easy and not at all cheap, but we definitely saved $300+ doing the cornice ourselves. We're currently thinking about an addition, but I'm pretty sure this is either going to have to stay put or we're going to have to put in a new window the same size just to reuse It!